11 May 2010

Oh my.

Before I tell you a story about my very interesting trip to the park today, let me just get something out of the way. If I'm not on the ball about updating on my weight loss chances are it was not a good week.

I'm up 2 pounds.

I went a little overboard with the Mothers Day brunch that my father-in-law made for us. Lesson learned, turkey sausages are NOT good for a diet.

On to my park experience.

There's a lady that I see quite often at the park, at Liam's school, and I've even run into her at Safeway. She's one of those very social people and so we've become friendly, calling out hello to each other or chatting if we're both standing around with our kids. We've all got acquaintances like that. Park friends.

Well, she crossed the line from park-friend to over-sharer-friend today. I sat down at the picnic table and commented that her daughter was playing today and she's usually at school during the week. Hooo boy did I get an explanation I wasn't expecting.

She's leaving her husband of almost 20 years because he's been verbally, emotionally, and, occasionally, physically abusive to her. She decided to keep her daughter home because it's been a bit of a rough day. I then got a recap of this (really very nice) lady's life.

Dudes, this really tests one's social skills. I mean, what do you say?! So I listened, which is what I think she was really after. I offered my sympathy but she didn't seem sad at all, more focused.

And as she was leaving I said "have a great day!" I went red and tried to backtrack, and she laughed. Foot in mouth moment!

Oi!

No comments: