2 December 2008

In our house...

It's a battle of wills. And I must say that this little baby is putting up quite the fight! I've written about how I'm trying to get a schedule going on and the 'schedule' is working out just fine. It's the baby that is the problem now. About 3 weeks ago he decided that, nope, nah, sleep just wasn't a priority anymore and he wasn't going to participate in that particular activity during the day. So naps have been a fond memory around here. I've been fighting with him to sleep and I can get him to take maybe 10-15 minutes if I've just fed him and he's either sleeping in my arms or on the bed. The moment I try to move him he's awake. So one day I decided to just let him do his own thing and see what happened. He didn't take a nap ALL DAY. That's with waking up at 7 a.m. and going to bed at 8 p.m. He was tired but it's like he was testing me and he just wouldn't let his eyes close.

Gahhhhhh. Over the past few weeks I really feel like I've tried everything that I can think of. This kid has me over a barrel. I know it has something to do with his development, but I also know that this is the best time to teach him healthy sleep habits and that includes being able to put himself to sleep. I know I could just give in and let him sleep on our bed which is what he really wants, but then I'll be facing this all over again when we can finally move him into his crib during the night. So I figure I may as well force this kid to get used to it now so it won't be such a shock when he figures out that he has to be in there at night too.

We're letting him cry it out. It kills me. I had no problem doing it with Liam but that was probably because he was much more passive when it came to sleeping. The only thing I had to worry about with him was getting out of the room fast enough before his bottle came hurtling at my head. But with Nicky it's taking so much more effort to be strong about it. So as much as I dislike the idea of it, I think it's my best option. Unfortunately.

No comments: