23 June 2010

I'm lazy. There, I said it.

As I'm sitting here looking at the toys strewn about my living room, I like to ponder the incredible guilt I feel at not being as accomplished a housewife as I somehow think I should be. I've got some mighty big shoes to fill when it comes to keeping a tidy house, namely Jeff's mom and my dad. Oh, and Jeff too.

But wait. Does it really count towards being a clean person if you don't actually clean? Jeff? Cuz honey, you may put things back where they belong right away so that there's no clutter...but can you remember the last time you took a dust rag to the furniture, turned on a vaccum, or filled a pail with soapy water? How 'bout the toilet downstairs, hmm?

I only point these things out so that I can try to feel less guilty for being a lazy ass. One could say that since he goes out to work and earns the money for our family, that it is then my duty to keep house and raise our kids. And I would agree to a certain extent.

Only...when we were both working full-time I still did it all. Ponder that.

Oh, and in addition to being a mediocre housewife, I'm also a master procrastinator.

I was supposed to go for a walk to Londonderry after the boys ate lunch, except Nicky made a huge mess that requires some mopping to clean up. So I decided to put off the walk till tomorrow so that I could clean while the boys were sleeping.

Then I poured myself a coffee (because I'm tired as f*** lately) and sat down to check my facebook and blog a little. It's now 45 minutes later and all I want to do is lay down on the couch and have a nap. And put off the cleaning that I put off the walk for.

Except if I do that, then it won't get done until the boys are in bed. And it won't actually happen then because I haven't got an ounce of energy by that point of the day. So then we'll start the whole cycle again tomorrow and blah blah blah. Except instead of dealing with easy to clean up oatmeal all over the place I'll have to get down on my hands and knees and scrape off crusty hardened up crap from the floor.

Huh. Maybe I'll just go and get it done now.

No comments: